What is the Bancontact payment method?
Bancontact is the Belgian market leader in payments, offering a wide range of both online and offline payment options, including in-store card transactions. With over 15 million Bancontact cards in circulation issued by 20 Belgian banks, Bancontact processes about 150,000 online transactions a day, making it the most trusted payment method in Belgium.
When you accept Bancontact payments with Payvision, you’ll pay low fees for successful transactions only. Enjoy lower fraud risk levels, and grow your business with Belgium’s favourite way to pay.
Bancontact is the payment method of choice among Belgian online consumers, and is a must-have if you’re selling your goods and services in Belgium.
- Business growth in Europe: by being part of the most popular payment method in Belgium that covers both online and in-store transactions
- Instant confirmation and guaranteed payments: Bancontact payments are guaranteed and irreversible, so you can fulfil orders right away
- Higher conversion rates and low fees: Bancontact is used more often than credit cards, with low fees per successful transaction
- Lower fraud risk levels: Customers must authenticate payments with their banks, lowering the risk of disputes or chargebacks. Plus, Bancontact payments are fully protected by 3D-secure technology
Your customers enjoy:
- A user friendly experience: By being able to pay securely, in an environment they’re comfortable with
- Being able to pay their way: Using Bancontact instead of a credit card helps your customers avoid potentially hefty fees, making it a highly preferred payment method amongst Belgians
- The accessibility they want: Bancontact opens the doors to more products and services online for Belgian shoppers
How does Bancontact work?
Bancontact payments are a standard addition for anyone who opens an account with a Belgian Bank, and includes a physical card that’s linked to that account.
Bancontact makes transacting with your brand a native experience – customers can pay using a card, browser or via an app on a mobile device, whether they’re shopping online or in-store.
At the checkout, your customers authorize payments directly from their accounts. You’ll know right away when payments are successful, and can start getting paid within minutes.
1. Shopper selects Bancontact at the checkout. They are then redirected to the Bancontact app or website.
2. Shopper checks payment details and authorizes the payment.
3. Shopper is redirected back to the merchant page.
With Bancontact, you can offer your customer a choice in how they pay. They can manually enter their Bancontact card details or pay using Payconiq or their mobile bank app.
Customers can smoothly transition from desktop to their phone by scanning a QR code using their mobile app. For customers who are transacting on their mobile device, a mobile intent link can be used to launch a compatible app.
Bancontact terminal and in-store payments
In a land where physical retail stores continue to thrive as e-commerce soars, the brands that embrace Omnichannel selling will win over today’s evolving breed of digital shoppers.
Payvision’s Point of Sale solutions can help unify your transactions across channels, whether your customers are paying through a tablet in your store, or through a POS terminal.
Accepting Bancontact at all your checkouts gives your customers the frictionless payments they expect, and a shopping experience they’ll want to come back to.
How to integrate Bancontact payments
Our easy-to-use API means you can integrate Bancontact into your business quickly and securely. You can also get on board using our Plugins or integrate Bancontact directly into your checkout.
We’ve also got all the documentation you need, and a dedicated support team on standby for any issues you might have. So if you’re ready to get started, we’re here to help!